The Third International Summer Insititute in Applied Linguistics was held on the Penn State University Park campus from June 22 to July 17, 2009. The Institute brought together internationally recognized faculty in applied linguistics and over one hundred graduate students from across the globe. The Institute featured twenty-seven different courses ranging from ‘Cognition & SLA’, to ‘Self, Identity and Agency in the Language Classroom,’ to ‘Sociocultural Theory and L2 Development,’ among others.
As in past years, the 2009 Summer Institute was very international, including faculty and students from Applied Linguistics communities around the globe. The map above indicates the wide variety of geographical areas that summer institute participants hailed from.
Travel Grant Awardees
- Dejan Ivkovic, York University, Toronto [AAAL Travel Award]
- Tziona Levi, Tel Aviv University [Center for Language Acquisition Travel Award]
- Polina Vinogradova, University of Maryland [Center for Language Acquisition Travel Award]
General information about the 2009 Summer Institute in Applied Linguistics courses can be found here.
The second summer institute in applied linguistics was held on Penn State’s University Park campus from June 27 to July 21, 2005. Activities during the summer institute included the following:
- A daylong symposium on advanced language proficiency featuring interactive, web-cast presentations by Andrew Cohen, Rod Ellis, Jim Lantolf, Elana Shohamy, and Merrill Swain.
- Institute workshops conducted by Steven McCafferty, Michael McCarthy, Steven Thorne, J. Scott Payne, Gabriela Appel, Karen Johnson, Miryam Espinosa-Dulanto, Julie Belz, Aneta Pavlenko, Celeste Kinginger, Robert Schrauf, Johannes Wagner, Douglas Altamiro Consolo, and Paula Golombek.
- Plenary lectures by renowned anthropologist Michael Agar (Professor Emeritus of the University of Maryland) and Peter Sacks (freelance journalist), author of Standardized Minds, an account of the consequences of high-stakes testing for learning, education, and society.
- Courses offered by Sandra J. Savignon (Penn State University), Diane Larsen-Freeman (University of Michigan), Susan Gass (Michigan State University), Tim McNamara (University of Melbourne), Michael J. McCarthy (University of Nottingham), Kees de Bot (University of Groningen), Marjolijn Verspoor (University of Groningen), Alan Juffs (University of Pittsburgh), Rod Ellis (University of Auckland), Daniel Weiss (Penn State University), Patricia Duff (University of British Columbia), Nuria Sagarra (Penn State University), James P. Lantolf (Penn State University), Merrill Swain (Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto), Elana Shohamy (Tel Aviv University), Susan Strauss (Penn State University), Alastair Pennycook (University of Technology, Sydney), Aneta Pavlenko (Temple University), Andrew D. Cohen (University of Minnesota), Alastair Cumming (Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto), Steven L. Thorne (Penn State University), A. Suresh Canagarajah (Baruch College, The City University of New York), Yasuhiro Shirai (Cornell University and the Chinese University of Hong Kong), Richard Donato (University of Pittsburgh), Sinfree Makoni (Penn State University), Robert Schrauf (Penn State University), Nick Ellis (University of Michigan), Jean-Marc Dewaele (Birbeck College, University of London), Karen Johnson (Penn State University), Paula Golombek (Penn State University), Gabriele Kasper (University of Hawaii), Leo van Lier (Monterey Institute for International Studies), Stephen May (University of Walkato), John Schumann (University of California, Los Angeles), Johannes Wagner (University of Southern Denmark).
The first summer institute in applied linguistics was held on Penn State’s University Park campus from July 1 to July 26, 2002. The institute was supported by the International Association of Applied Lingulistics and the American Association for Applied Linguistics.
The following internationally recognized scholars participated in the 2002 institute:
Julie Belz, Chris Candlin, Andrew Cohen, Alister Cumming, Kees de Bot, Rod Ellis, Sue Gass, Joan Kelly Hall, Karen Johnson, Gabi Kasper, Celeste Kinginger, Claire Kramsch, Judith Kroll, Jim Lantolf, Patsy Lightbown, Mike McCarthy, Tim McNamara, Petr Musyken, Manfred Pienneman, Ben Rampton, Sandra Savignon, Elana Shohamy, Merrill Swain, Steve Thorne, Jacqueline Toribio, and Leo van Lier.